Are you aware of scam websites and know how to identify one?
The websites which offer shopping vouchers and giveaway offers are the ones that need to keep an eye on. These forums are designed to grab the attention of the people. Even the ‘technophile’ is part of this scam. Also see 검증사이트
The aim behind a scam website
Scam websites are created to loot your money, collect personalized information or impair your device with malware. They look like any other website that sells products for a lesser price and may also have many numbers of users.
Scam websites are created illegitimately by fraudulent and malicious hackers.
The working of a scam website
The hackers spread links via an anonymous website. They may appear as followers
- A social media message or post
- Spam emails
- Links through text messages
- Payment page of your well-known brand or company
- Alert about viruses in your device and persuade you to download.
Your device may also be affected by pharming techniques that hackers tend to use. By using this method you are redirected to the scam website by the fraudster.
Varieties of scam websites
There are a variety of websites that many people need to be aware of.
- Phishing websites
These are the websites that motivate users to hit a link through messages. They trick the user’s emotions through messages from companies.
- Discount portals and online shopping
Links or URLs which promise e-commerce to come under this category. Customers are easily fooled and they tend to share their card details including their CVV number.
- False ticket sellers
Many people sell tickets online which are fake. These sites promise to sell tickets at a much cheaper rate but those tickets may not be valid at the end.
These are a few of the most prominent areas where people are easily fooled.
What should I do after I become a victim of a web scammer?
Hackers can easily fool you and hack your devices with malware and collect your data. They tend to pretend to be your loved ones, encourage you to open a bank account, and pretend to provide a bank loan, health insurance, or a discount. In a minute they can hack all of your data or documents and give threat calls or blackmail for money.
Considering the risks a fake website can bring to you, it becomes necessary to know and consider the precautionary steps.
- Change your passwords
- Freezing your cards and bank accounts
- Install antivirus software
- Enable 2-factor authentication
- File a complaint in cybersecurity
- Report to the respective authority such as Google, Microsoft, website government, etc.
How do I avoid being a victim of a fake website?
- Analyze the website link
- Use websites that are protected
- Select a website that has a proper domain such as WWW. or Org etc.
- Look for the SSL or TLS certificate.
- Analyze the content of any website with a few pointers such as language, social engineering techniques, type of notifications, or pop-up ads.
- Look for reviews
- Website checkers.